Planning your time and work
- Plan and schedule the time to create and grow your garden. Your garden needs daily care and attention to produce high yields of healthy crops. Time estimates for a garden of ten 10’-long beds follow.
- 4 to 6 hours – clear the area, turn the soil, stake and build beds and aisles.
- 6 to 8 hours – construct containers if that is your choice.
- 4 to 6 hours – apply fertilizers, do final bed preparation with ridges – or prepare custom soil for containers – plant seeds, and transplant seedlings.
- 20 minutes per day – water, feed, weed, prune, and otherwise care for your plants – preferably in the early morning.
- 2 to 10 minutes – harvesting.
- Make a garden calendar and list the projects that need attention. That way you will not forget important things like planting dates. And remember to include family members in your gardening.