What tools are needed
- Round-headed shovel – for initial soil preparation and to remove perennial weeds and their underground stems, or rhizomes.
- Garden rake – for removing weeds, leveling the soil, and shaping soil-beds or mixing and leveling the custom soil in containers.
- Two-way, scuffle, or hula hoe – for early weeding of small weed seedlings. It cuts them off just below the soil surface with very little movement of the soil. Weeding is rarely needed in containers.
- Garden hose wrapped with an 18″ cloth – lets you water quickly without washing out your soil-beds.
- (Containers) Garden hose with a watering wand – will apply water quickly without washing out the custom soil.
- Plant-spacing marker – a real time saver, gives your garden a professional look while providing for equal light, water, and nutrition to each plant. Two rows of ½” dowels spaced 6″ & 7″ apart, will help you plant most varieties properly.
- Wheelbarrow or large cart, and a power tiller, may be important for a larger garden.