How to prepare your garden for soil-beds
- Clear your garden area of everything including trees, shrubs, bushes, flowers, grass, and trash (Picture #3).
- Eliminate weeds, both annual and perennial.
- Annuals can be plowed under or removed with a shovel, rake, or hoe.
- Perennial weeds continue growing year after year. These must be removed. Roots, rhizomes (underground stems) and runners must be dug out or they will be a constant problem.
- Plow, till, or dig the soil 8 to 12 inches deep, breaking large clods and rough-smoothing as you go.
- Measure and stake the corners of your garden. Match your dimensions to the number of soil-beds you want.