Controlling annual weeds
- Only two tools are needed – the garden rake and the 2-way or scuffle hoe.
- Using the rake or hoe, pull down the 4″ ridge into the aisle, then rake it back up again. Do not disturb planted seeds or seedlings.
- When rebuilding the ridge for seedling rows, allow a thin film of dirt to go between seedling stems, smothering any tiny weeds in that area.
- Kill all weeds growing in the center of the soil-bed by disturbing the soil surface between the rows of plants.
- Using both directions with the 2-way hoe quickly remove all weeds growing in the aisles. Disturb only the top ¼” of the soil surface.