How to prevent weeds
- There are several ways to prevent weeds from ever getting started growing in your garden.
- Prevent weed seeds in the irrigation water by using a well, your home’s culinary water, or a fine filter.
- Cover the soil with perforated weed-preventing materials or black plastic, and plant seedlings through small holes.
- Do not use un-sterilized compost or manure in your garden. Many weed seeds pass right through the animal. Sustained temperatures of 140 degrees Fahrenheit are required to kill seeds and soil pathogens.
- Maintain a wide weed-free perimeter around your garden. Weed seeds often travel through the air.
- (Containers) Using a non-soil growing medium is one of the best ways to prevent weeds in your garden.
- Plant in containers using soil custom-made from clean sand mixed with other inert and organic materials, such as perlite, sawdust, peat moss, ground-up pine needles or tree bark, etc.